Pages

Monday, June 05, 2006

ERASING THE BLEMISHES

10% of all plastic surgery in the UK is now taken up by over 60's apparently. Slightly more worrying is the fact that there is also an increase in the number of abortions at 20 weeks+ for minor defects such as a club foot, (now often treatable without surgery), as parents search for that perfect designer baby.

Whilst our so called civilized society is going to more and more extremes to look good and get everything 'just right' are we in danger of getting it all 'wrong'?

Balance this up with any mention of God, sin, guilt, salvation and forgiveness and more often than not you get a hostile response. Why do 'I' need forgiveness? I often wonder if our search for external perfection has something to do with the the turmoil of disconnection of our own hearts.

Changing our face, designing our children, glossing up to erase the imperfections simply serve to paper over the cracks. If I am to believe perfection is found in the heart of God - why are we so often tempted to keep him out of the equation?

Jesus said to his mates 'blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God'.

As I look at my life, those I share it with - as I see my own face in the mirror, I am surrounded by a myriad of imperfections - rebellions, hurts, tragedies, stupidities; but also I see God (and terrible skin of course!).

Amid the disorder, chaos and failure I see signs of hope, restoration, re-connection grace and forgiveness. The fast weathering look of my own face in part tells a story of ups and downs, not least of all that of being a father to three children who take after their parents - imperfect, but utterly loved and adored.

If we really want to erase the imperfection maybe we need to begin with a change of heart; then and only then will we see us and those around us as God sees us - loved and adored, forgiven and accepted.

..... now where did I put the mirror...

1 comment:

Liz Hinds said...

There's a book by John Wyndham, The Chrysallids, in which people with defects are exiled to the outlands (or something - it was a long time ago that I read it). One of the girls living out there has six toes; I too have six toes.

I was also born to an unmarried mother in the 1950s.

Thank God abortion wasn't legal then (although I like to believe that she wouldn't have got rid of me anyway).

Am I a mistake? I don't believe God thinks so.