Pages

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

If I Have To Explain....

I am often both challenged and encouraged by the fact that much of Jesus' recorded ministry was'on the road' - it wasn't a three year 'mission' in religious buildings. It was an epic adventure with a bunch of misfits going loads of places they shouldn't of (according to some) and meeting a vast array of characters in various states of disrepair and illrepute.

As I pounded my way around the motorways of the southern counties last weekend on the bike, in the now falling autumnal temperatures, I pondered these things as I mentally prepared to meet various members of the biking, tattooing and 'celebrity gangster' community in two cities for two ceremonies. One wedding blessing, one 'christening'.

Each proved a special point of connection with old friends and new contacts, each too providing precious moments of sacred space to speak of God's care and compassion for each one present. But then of course others might say, 'how dare you enter such seedy environmemnts' - to which I shall reply 'if I have to explain, you won't understand'. JC should still be on the road among the margins, I'll continue to be available....

1 comment:

Chris Mercer said...

excellent..the command was go out into all the world....not stay coszy in nice cute buildings...well done....ya doing whats right